Moroccan vegetable stew
Ingredients for 8 servings: 2 medium potatoes, 2 courgettes, 4 medium carrots, 3 Roma tomatoes, 1 small butternut squash, 400 g chickpeas, 1 large onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons ground cumin, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, 750 ml water
- Preparation: about 20 minutes; Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Peel, wash and cut the carrots. Peel, wash and chop the onion. Peel, wash and chop the potatoes and pumpkin. Wash the courgettes and tomatoes and cut them into cubes without peeling them. Wash and drain the chickpeas.
- In a saucepan (ideal size: 6 liters) heat the olive oil over medium heat and brown the onion. Add all the spices and cook for a minute, stirring.
- Add potato, carrots, tomatoes, butternut squash and water and bring to a boil. Cook uncovered over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and chickpeas. Cook uncovered for another 6-8 minutes (until vegetables are tender).
Transylvanian Potato Stew
Ingredients for 8 servings: 1.5 kg of floury potatoes, 1 pointed red pepper, 2 medium onions, 5 cloves of garlic, 2-3 tablespoons of tomato puree, 2-3 teaspoons of sunflower oil, 2 teaspoons of paprika, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 pinch of pepper, about 750 ml of water
- Preparation: 20 minutes; Cooking time: about 30 minutes
- Peel, wash and finely chop the onions and garlic cloves. Peel the potatoes, wash them and cut them into large cubes. Wash the pointed peppers and cut them into cubes or strips.
- In a cast aluminum pot, heat 2-3 tablespoons of sunflower oil and sauté the onions and minced garlic cloves with the pointed peppers. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and cumin. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, a pinch of pepper, the tomato paste and the paprika. Fill with about 750 ml of water, so that the potatoes are covered.
- Bake covered for about 20 minutes, then uncovered for another 10 minutes. Depending on how thick you want the sauce to be, you can cook the stew for more or less time, the important thing is that the potatoes are tender. Add 1/2 teaspoon more salt if needed.
- You can also enjoy the stew with a little cream and/or freshly chopped parsley.
Irish Cabbage and Red Bean Stew
Ingredients for 6 to 8 people: 1/2 white cabbage, 500 g cooked white beans (drained weight), 600 g potatoes, 4 carrots, 1 large onion, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 can (400 g) peeled tomatoes , 3 stalks of celery, 1 5-2 l of vegetable broth, 1 bay leaf, 1 teaspoon of chopped parsley, 1 teaspoon of thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of chopped rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, 1/ 2 teaspoon cumin, salt
- Preparation: 20 minutes; Cooking time: 1 hour
- Peel, wash and finely chop the onion and garlic cloves. Peel, wash and cut the carrots. Wash and chop celery stalks and cabbage. Peel the potatoes, wash them and cut them into large cubes, and also dice the peeled tomatoes.
- In a saucepan, bring all ingredients except beans, tomatoes, and parsley to a boil. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Finally add the beans, peeled tomatoes and chopped parsley and simmer uncovered for another 15 minutes.