Find out everything you need to know about renting pouch WiFi in Thailand to stay connected on your future sojourn. multiple speedo shots from Koh Lipe posted in our Insta Stories ? Tick! Obligatory Boomerang with drag queens in Bangkok ‘s Silom Soi 4 ? Tick! Updated Facebook status to tell the syndicate about the latest slog Thai we ‘ve tried ? Tick! Yes, that ‘s right…we ‘re one of those bloggers who love posting to their social media during their travels ( have you SEEN our Nomadic Boys Instagram… ? ) …but if you ‘re reading this, chances are you ‘re not excessively different from us and besides love slaying on the Instagram when travelling ! At least enough to want to stay connected throughout your tripper. Whilst getting a SIM batting order is the norm for most tech-savvy travellers, those of us with smartphones locked into contracts do n’t have this lavishness unless we have dual SIM capability. We ‘ve besides found when travelling in Thailand that having merely one pouch WiFi is adequate to give internet to both our phones, Kindles, tablets and laptops. It besides works out cheaper in the long term by giving us more internet data to use rather than having to top up all the time. During our extensive travels in Thailand, we ‘ve had the opportunity to test out assorted pocket WiFi devices, so we ‘ve put together this handy usher to help you decide which is the best one to rent : Pre-order your scoop WiFi device now ! We ‘ve tried assorted pocket WiFi devices during our many trips in Thailand and found it to be the best and most authentic way of connecting to the internet. Pre-order your portable WiFi device now so you can enjoy unlimited internet access during your trip, equally well as being able to connect multiple devices at once. It besides creates a secure and private connection unlike populace WiFi hotspots ( such as in a restaurant, hotel, airport, train etc ), which are frequently not secure .
What is pouch WiFi ?
A pocket WiFi is a little device which contains a SIM card that converts 3G and 4G signals into a private and guarantee WiFi connection. It ‘s little and ignite enough to carry around in your pocket, normally exchangeable in size to a mobile earphone. When travelling through Thailand, Pocket WiFi devices are perfect for connecting your telephone, Kindle pad or laptop to the internet on the belong, so you can get some influence done, post your Insta hunger traps and keep in reach with class back home. The best contribution about it is that you can connect more than one device at a time, so while one of us is gloating to our Facebook friends ( enduring a chili grey winter in London ) about how cheery and gorgeous it is in Koh Lipe, the other can post amazing snaps like this :Silmon Soi 4 in Bangkok is always a hotbed for the best social media content!
What are the advantages of pocket WiFi ?
We set out the independent advantages below :
- You don’t need an unlocked smartphone! For us, the main advantage of renting a pocket WiFi in Thailand is that it just makes things a lot easier! Normally we’d each buy local SIM cards, but this has only been possible with unlocked smartphones. If you’re in locked 12/24 month contract, getting a local SIM card is not possible and you become reliant on expensive roaming fees to get online. This is a big no-no for us!
- You can connect more than one device at the same time. This is perfect for when (like us) you’re travelling with more than one person. You only pay for one device but everyone can get online at the same time. This also includes laptops, Kindles and tablets.
- It’s easy to carry around. As we’ve mentioned, pocket WiFi devices are pocket-sized, so they won’t take up much space in your luggage. They usually weigh less than 150 grams (around five ounces) as well, so won’t weigh down your pockets/bags.
- No roaming charges! This goes without saying, but if you’re using a pocket WiFi device, then you no longer need to concern yourself with those crazy high roaming charges!
- Usually provides unlimited data. This depends on the plan or provider you go with, but the best ones are those that offer unlimited data usage. You also don’t need to top up with more data like you often need to if using a local SIM card.
- Security. The main difference between using a pocket WiFi device and say, just connecting to the free WiFi at hotels or restaurants is that you are guaranteed a secure connection.
- Ease of use. Pocket Wifi devices are usually very easy to use once you’ve set them up at the beginning. You just turn it on, connect your devices using the password and then each time you use them from then on they should automatically connect.
Where can I get a pocket WiFi in Thailand ?
It ‘s super-easy to organise pouch WiFi in Thailand. You can script a device to rent on-line and pick it up when you arrive or organise everything within Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok or Phuket airport once you land. however, we strongly recommend pre-booking your pocket WiFi device before you arrive in Thailand because you may arrive during a busy menstruation and find there are none available to rent on the spotlight. then you ‘re looking at having no authentic internet for your vacation which would wholly suck properly ? ! ! ! Pre-booking a device on-line before you head to Thailand besides means you ‘re able to compare the different providers and find the perfective choice for you .Zipping around Bangkok in a Tuk Tuk – and using our Pocket WiFi to post the photo to Instagram!
How many devices can connect to a pocket WiFi ?
This normally depends on the supplier you choose to go with. Generally, all air pocket WiFi devices can connect to at least 5 different devices. Some can be used to connect up to 15 different devices but that ‘s for the more costly ones. When you ‘re comparing the different packages for your stumble to Thailand, make sure you check how many devices you will be able to use thus you ‘ll be able to connect all the devices you ‘re planning on using during your trip .
Don’t miss Bangkok’s night markets
Thailand ‘s capital Bangkok is a bustling city that can get quite overpowering. One of our favored activities was visiting the vibrant night markets to do some patronize, people watching and of run, dive into all that delightful Thai street food ! Find out more
What is the monetary value of a pouch WiFi rental ?
The price of renting a scoop WiFi device varies depending on each different supplier and what classify of things are included in the rental package. normally, the factors that influence the price include :
- Data limit: how much data you’ll be able to use whilst in Thailand is the main thing you’re going to want to know. You definitely want one with unlimited data but make sure you read the fine print in case it might be slowed down after a certain amount of data has been used.
- Duration of rental: some providers may only offer devices for a short rental period, so you’re going to want a pocket Wifi you can use for the duration of your travels. It usually works out cheaper per day the longer you rent a pocket WiFi device in Thailand.
- The number of devices that can be connected: the more devices you’re able to connect to your Pocket WiFi will also make it more expensive. We were fine with one that connected to just five devices when travelling as a couple, but if you’re travelling in a group, then you will likely need a pocket wifi with more connections (like 10) or rent two pocket wifi devices.
- Connection speed: the connection speed can also affect the price plan, but you really want to make sure you have around 75MBps to 187MBps of upload and download speed so you can use your devices properly.
- Pick-up and delivery options: some providers will send your pocket WiFi device to your hotel rather than you having to pick it up from the airport, but this will usually cost a little more. Sometimes you might also be able to return the device via an envelope instead of taking it back to the airport location.
Must do in Thailand: go island-hopping
Thailand ‘s islands are pretty celebrated and with estimable argue. With crystal-clear waters, white flaxen beaches and glorious weather, you ca n’t visit the nation without spend time exploring the beautiful islands. Find out more
Which pouch WiFi should I choose ?
We ‘ve done all the research so you can now compare the clear three best pocket WiFi device providers in Thailand in the board below. We ‘ve highlighted our 3 favored suppliers who we thought were the most cost-efficient and reliable, peculiarly because they each have an easy to use on-line engagement system with websites written distinctly in English, everything on offer laid out, without any hidden fees. As you can see in the table below, GetYourGuide offers the best value at $ 66 for 10 days. When you pre-order your device, make sure you select the number of participants for the number of days you need : for case, if you need 10 days of rental, choice 10 participants…
sum price for 10 days Amount of 4G data Max. number of devices speed Battery life hotel delivery Easy envelope rejoinder free cancellation
monetary value per day GET YOUR GUIDE $ 66 10 days Unlimited 5 187 Mbps 10 hours $ 6.60 / day TRAVEL WIFI $ 113 10 days 10GB 5 75 Mbps 12 hours $ 11.3 / day VIATOR $ 104 10 days Unlimited 5 187 Mbps 10 $ 10.04 / day
What does this all mean?
- Amount of 4G data: this is the total amount of high-speed data you’ll be able to use with your Pocket WiFi device. Ideally, you want unlimited data because if you reach the limit, your internet will still work but usually at lower speeds.
- Maximum number of devices: the total amount of devices that connect simultaneously to your pocket WiFi. The higher the number, the better, especially if you have multiple people and/or devices you know you’re going to need.
- Speed: the maximum download speed you can expect to get from the pocket WiFi to your devices.
- Battery life: how long you can expect the pocket WiFi’s battery to last. Anything between 8 to 12 hours is good.
- Hotel delivery: whether or not you can get the device delivered to your hotel. Otherwise, you will need to pick it up from the service providers’ offices, or at an airport counter.
- Easy envelope return: some providers provide a pre-paid envelope for you to easily return your pocket WiFi from anywhere in Thailand by placing it in a letterbox.
- Free cancellation policy: if your travel plans are liable to change then it’s always good to know if you can take advantage of free cancellation.
Learn to cook authentic Thai food
We love learning to cook the local cuisine when we travel, and we love eating it even more ! When you ‘re in Bangkok you can join an amazing cooking course that includes shopping for ingredients at a local grocery store. Find out more
How to use your air pocket WiFi in Thailand ?
once you ‘ve got your pocket WiFi you ‘ll need to make certain you in full charge it before connecting any devices and then keep it charged. Once it ‘s all charged up you ‘ll be able to enter the air pocket WiFi number and password into your devices that need internet and you ‘re adept to go ! During our Thailand trip, we found that one wax nightlong charge was normally enough to stopping point the entire day. Make sure you keep your pocket WiFi within about 25 metres ( 80 feet ) of the devices you ‘re connecting it to indeed the sign can reach. Luckily pocket WiFi is normally minor and light enough to fair slip into your pocket wherever you go. A final tip: if you know you might be using a lot of internet then you ‘ll credibly besides want to bring along some bare battery packs so you do n’t find yourself on the spur of the moment without access somewhere.
Explore Chiang Mai’s temples
Chiang Mai in the north of Thailand is filled with bewitching culture and gorgeous Buddhist temples. Exploring the area is a must-do if you want to understand the country ‘s history and culture. Find out more This post may contain affiliate links which means if you make a buy through one of these links, we will receive a small deputation. Read our disclosure for more information .