Make your own remoulade – necessary ingredients
We’ll show you what you need for a simple herb beetroot. The amounts given make approximately one glass of remoulade.
- 250 ml of relatively tasteless vegetable oil, such as sunflower or rapeseed oil
- 100 grams of sour cream.
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
- 1 pickled sour cucumber
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- You also need freshly chopped herbs. Chives, parsley, tarragon and dill are suitable. The latter especially when the remoulade is served with fish. You need a total of two to three tablespoons of herbs.
- Add the basic seasonings of salt and pepper.
How to prepare the remolada
First, get all the ingredients you need in the amount you need.
- Finely chop the herbs.
- Cut the cucumbers into small cubes.
- Place the mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, and egg in a large bowl. Tip: If you only use the yolk, the tartar sauce will be firmer.
- Mix the ingredients with a hand mixer. Add the oil little by little while mixing.
- Mix with an immersion blender until the dough has stiffened.
- Finally add the finely chopped herbs, diced cucumber and sour cream.
- Fill the finished remoulade into a clean, airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
- Since remoulade contains raw egg, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two days. It’s best to only make the remoulade you really need as a side dish.
Remoulade can accompany many dishes. Accompanies both fish and certain meat dishes. Homemade remoulade is also delicious with potatoes.
- Tip: Cut the boiled potatoes into small cubes and add the remoulade. Leave the mixture in the refrigerator for two to three hours. Then serve as an egg or sausage salad.
- The basic remoulade recipe can be expanded or modified as desired.
- The so-called Danish remoulade, for example, contains no herbs. There the very finely chopped cauliflower is processed.
- In Holland pineapple is often added to tartar sauce instead of herbs.
- If you like, you can also mix a finely chopped onion into the remoulade.
- If you want the remoulade to have a strong color, add turmeric according to your taste and color preference.
- A little lemon or lime juice adds a bit of freshness. Enter this but only while constantly stirring. The risk of coagulation remoulade is high.
- Capers give remoulade its unique flavor.