cardinal Dome CentralWorld ( Thai : เซ็นทรัลเวิลด์, styled as centralwOrld ) is a shop plaza and complex in Bangkok, Thailand. [ 5 ] It is the eleventh largest shopping complex in the world. The building complex, which includes a hotel and office tugboat, is owned by Central Pattana. In 2006, after three years of design and renovation, CentralWorld was expanded to 550,000 m2 ( 5,900,000 sq foot ) of shopping promenade and 830,000 m2 ( 8,900,000 sq foot ) of complex, topping nearby equal Siam Paragon in terms of size.
Reading: CentralWorld – Wikipedia
history [edit ]
World Trade Center [edit ]
originally called the World Trade Center, the eight-storey promenade was opened on 7 April 1990. Central Group acquired the property in 2002 from the Wang Phetchabun group and changed the name to Central World Plaza. In 2005, it was renamed CentralWorld. It is on leased Crown Property Bureau land. In its skill, the Central Group ‘s property development sleeve, Central Pattana ( SET : CPN ), secured a new 30-year lease on the locate. [ 6 ]
Mall renovations [edit ]
Anticipating the open of the lavishness Siam Paragon, CPN started massive renovations and expansion on the web site in 2003. CPN changed the appoint from World Trade Center to Central World Plaza. The master promenade structure was 300,000 public square meters. The expansion plans boosted that to 430,000 square meters. Though work was not however complete, CPN held an official afford of the renovated building complex on 21 July 2006 ; it was expected to be fully functional by October 2006. At the time CPN change the name to Centralworld. By May 2007 the promenade was amply opened, but some parts of the upper floors remained vacant. major exterior construction was ongoing on the hotel in the northwest corner of the promenade and the propagation floors to the ZEN department store in southeast corner. The animate complex aimed to attract 150,000 customers per day, spending more than 7 billion baht annually. It marketed itself as a middle class shop center, opposed to the upper class-market Siam Paragon. [ 7 ] [ 8 ] CentralWorld did not achieve its goal in term of daily visitors because of several reasons, including political convulsion and an ongoing economic downturn. however, shopper numbers soon increased, though dependable figures are lacking. Bangkok ‘s New Year countdown celebrations were held in presence of CentralWorld, which cursorily became a custom, with the total of people increasing every year .
The Offices at CentralWorld [edit ]
Renovations included completing an unfinished office tower, work on which had been halted in 1999 with merely 39 of the planned 63 floors completed. construction resumed in early 2003, expanding the loom to a 45-story, 204-meter, purpose, with the completed column hatchway in 2005. [ 9 ]
Centara Grand at CentralWorld [edit ]
Centara Grand is a chain hotel built on land leased from the Crown Properties Bureau. The flagship hotel, the Centara Grand at CentralWorld, is attached to both the CentralWorld promenade and the Offices at CentralWorld .
2010 fire damage [edit ]
CentralWorld was temporarily closed on 19 May 2010 due to severe arson damage, which occurred as troops dislodged protesters from the area during the 2010 Thailand political protests. The adjoining ‘Zen ‘ section suffered massive damage from the rioters. [ 10 ] [ 11 ] The Isetan part was reopened soon after. Following repairs, a large partially of CentralWorld was reopened on 28 September that year. The ‘Zen ‘ segment reopened on 6 January 2012 .
Mall renovations 2016–2018 [edit ]
Renovations included Enhance circulation and simplify navigation, add escalator in Zone A, re-zone merchandise to suit current market, use receptive shop-front design to enhance customer experience, enhance linkage to BTS Skytrain, and construction for second Apple Store in Thailand. The renovations started in Autumn 2016 and were ascribable to be completed in 2018 .
2019 ardor and ZEN renamed into Central [edit ]
During the evening rush hour on 10 April 2019, a fire that apparently started elsewhere spread to the eighth floor via breeze vent pipes, and the promenade was ordered evacuate. At least two people, both employees, were reported to have died after jumping from the build up. [ 12 ] [ 13 ] [ 14 ] [ 15 ] That December, after three decades, ZEN was renamed into Central, positioned as an experimental experience store. The whole Central Department Store ‘s CentralWorld shop will be revamped by hiring three celebrated designers from France, Italy, Germany, and Thailand. The revamp cost 1 billion baht. [ 16 ]
Isetan blockage and subsequent renovation [edit ]
On 14 March 2020, Isetan Mitsukoshi Holdings and CPN jointly announced the closure of Isetan Bangkok at CentralWorld per 31 August 2020 due to termination of shrink between two parties. After Isetan closes, CPN plans to renovate the sphere and the facade while negotiating with new department store anchor replacing Isetan. Renovation will be completed per 1Q 2023, with the japanese spirit and ambiance and its authentic japanese restaurant zone will be kept intact. [ 17 ] [ 18 ]
- Zone A new atrium
- The atrium has been removed from Levels 1-2
- open shop-front design in Level 2
location [edit ]
CentralWorld is located in Pathum Wan District at the Ratchaprasong Intersection in one of Bangkok ‘s busiest shop and tourism districts .
Facilities [edit ]
CentralWorld Square atrium in 2018 Zone F The Rink in 2011
CentralWorld Square [edit ]
The largest outdoor bodily process square in downtown Bangkok, this covered an area of 8,000 square metres, which was for large-scale activities such as The New Year ‘s Eve Countdown party. There were 400 dancing fountain heads incorporated into the plaza. In 2020, Apple Store will open at this square .
Christmas tree displayed outside of CentralWorld
CentralWorld Avenue [edit ]
CentralWorld Avenue is a six-lane road that circles the complex. It links Rama I Road and Ratchadamri road together .
Anchors [edit ]
central Department Store
independent anchors [edit ]
- Central Department Store – Previously known as Zen, it is the largest branch of Central Department Store and branded as Asia’s first lifestyle trend megastore at that time. It had 50,000 square metres and was seven stories high. Managed by the Central Retail Corporation, the branch will serve as prototype of Central’s new concept nationwide.
- SF World Cinema – An upscale cinema complex located on the seventh floor, it has a total of 15 screens, which include the 800 seats of World Max Screen and luxury “first-class” theatres. The venue played host to a number of Thai cinema premieres as well as the 2007 Bangkok International Film Festival and the 2008 Bangkok International Film Festival.
- GROOVE @ centralWorld The New Zone with varieties of café, restaurants, hang-out space at the front of The Offices
GROOVE at CentralWorld
key tenants [edit ]
- Apple Store – Apple’s second Thailand store. Located at CentralWorld Square, right outside the Central Department Store. Recognized as the largest Apple Store in South East Asia.
- SuperSports – A large sporting equipment shop.
- PowerBuy x B2S Think Space – The flagship and largest branch of the Thailand-based bookstore chain and electronics store chain, it spreads one floor and offers international and local publications, books, stationery, office supplies and various forms of entertainment media. Also, electrical appliances ranging from refrigerators to home theatre systems.
- Central Food Hall – This premium-level supermarket offers household products, fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy products, butcheries and seafood. There are also a wine cellar, a food court and a variety of restaurants and fast food outlets.
- SB Design Square – The flagship store of S.B. Furniture, selling furnitures and home decorate products.
- Toys R Us – The flagship location of the store in Thailand, it offers more than 10,000 square meters of imported toys and attractive gadgets and gizmos for teenagers.
UNIQLO First store in Thailand
- TK Park (Thailand Knowledge Park) – A complex that includes a library, Internet centers, a 4D movie theatre and other media facilities. Owned and operated by the government of Thailand.
- Genius Park – A newly added facility, replacing the Asian Senses, it consists of a children’s playground, an arcade, and various learning centers for children and adults.
- Uniqlo – The first Uniqlo store in Thailand and currently the brand’s largest branch in South-East Asia.
- H&M – The Largest H&M Store in Southeast Asia and 3rd Largest After Las Vegas’ and NYC’s.
- The Rink Iceskate – An indoor ice skating rink located at the 2nd floor Forum zone.
- The ZONE by Fitness First – The largest Fitness First fitness club in South-East Asia.
- Apple Central World ( 2022 )
- level 1 Jewels & Watches ( 2011 )
- level 1 Zone E water feature ( 2011 )
- level 3 ( 2011 )
- flat 4 zone B ( 2011 )
- degree 5 Zone A ( 2011 )
- flush 6 Zone C Genius Planet ( 2011 )
- tied 7 Zone A restaurant
- charge 7 SF World Cinema
- level 7 Central Food Hall
erstwhile tenants [edit ]
Centerpoint at CentralWorld
- King Power – A local duty-free store which used to operate on the sixth floor of Zone A. It eventually closed down in June 2006 to make way for the expansion of the ZEN Department Store (now Central Department Store).
- Major Cineplex – A former cineplex boasting six screens and twenty-four bowling lanes. The cineplex eventually closed down due to poor business, after SF World Cinema opened in January 2008. This space is revamped into Zone I plaza of CentralWorld.
- Centerpoint at CentralWorld – A complex of shops, restaurants, game zones and entertainment venues located on level 7. The complex was developed and operated by Pornpailin Development Co Ltd, who has previously operated the Centerpoint at Siam Square. It closed down in August 2012 to make Edutainment Zone. But until January 2019, the area still vacant. In December 2021, This space is revamped into Zone I plaza of CentralWorld.
- Isetan – The only branch of the Japanese department store chain in Thailand. It has six stories, ranges from apparel to domestic goods. The fifth story of Isetan is dubbed Washoku Gallery, featuring food products imported from Japan. The sixth story features Thailand’s first Books Kinokuniya branch. Managed directly by Isetan Mitsukoshi Holdings, it was permanently closed on 31st August 2020. All space of Isetan Bangkok store are now revamped into Zone I plaza of CentralWorld.
hotel [edit ]
- The Centara Grand & Bangkok Convention Centre at CentralWorld is a 57-storey 5-star hotel. There are 17,000 square metres area of convention hall and numerous function rooms on level 22nd of the hotel.
Trimurti shrine at the movement of Isetan
Shrines [edit ]
Two Hindu shrines are located at the northeast corner of CentralWorld : one dedicated to Trimurti and used by people praying for true love, and one dedicated to Ganesha .
See besides [edit ]
further reading [edit ]
- Taylor, Jim (March 2011), “Larger Than Life: ‘Central World’ and its Demise and Rebirth – Red Shirts and the Creation of an Urban Cultural Myth in Thailand” ( PDF ), Asia Research Institute Working Paper Series (150)
Notes [edit ]
References [edit ]
- Central Pattana (21 March 2012). Annual Report 2011 ( PDF ) .
- Central Pattana (5 April 2012). Form 56-1 2011 ( PDF ) (in Thai) .
Read more: วิธีปราบยุงเมื่อตั้งแคมป์ เดินป่า ปีนเขา