Is the vegan diet healthy?
The vegan diet not only means avoiding meat, but also any animal products. This includes, for example, dairy products, eggs and honey. But this diet also offers some advantages, not surprisingly, more and more people are turning to veganism.
- A great advantage of this diet is the consumption of low-calorie and healthy foods. Vegan foods are generally rich in magnesium, vitamins C and E, beta-carotene, carbohydrates, and fiber. Therefore, vegans often find it easier to lose weight without dieting or starving.
- If you eat vegan and move around a lot, it can help you optimize your outlook on life.
- The risk of various diseases can also be reduced with a vegan diet. Diabetes, high blood pressure, and obesity are much less common among vegans. Due to the intake of foods low in fat and calories, the probability of cardiovascular diseases and the risk of cancer are also lower. Avoiding animal products also results in lower blood pressure and better blood lipid levels. Therefore, veganism is also suitable as a therapy for various chronic diseases.
- Such a diet has great benefits not only for people but also for the environment, since natural resources are used more optimally. Cows emit methane. This gas is 25 times more powerful than carbon dioxide. To this end, the animals are usually fed soybeans or something similar, which is widely grown in the rainforest. Therefore, meat production is the source of a significant part of greenhouse gas emissions.
Disadvantages of veganism
Despite the many benefits, you should also be aware of the disadvantages of the vegan diet.
- A balanced diet is just as possible and necessary with veganism as it is with a normal diet. However, the lack of nutrients, such as protein, iron and calcium, is a major negative.
- Many vegans have low blood iron levels. Although the same amount of iron is absorbed from vegetables, salads, and dried fruit as from a diet containing meat, iron from plants is not as easy for the body to process.
- To prevent protein deficiency, you should eat protein-rich foods. The protein stimulates metabolism in the body and is used to produce antibodies. Vegetable proteins are mainly found in legumes, nuts, almonds and cereals.
- A vegan diet does not necessarily mean healthy eating: there are also many unhealthy foods that you can eat as a vegan. This includes sugar, for example.
- Children and young people in particular should be careful: the human body needs enough nutrients and vitamins, especially when it grows. That’s why a balanced diet is better when you’re young. If you still want to eat vegan, you should discuss this with a doctor and possibly have regular blood tests to prevent any deficiencies.